Rules of sending, reviewing and publishing scientific articles in
the “Vestnik Voennongo Prava” journal (The Journal of Military Law)
I.General requirements for author’s materials and conditions of publishing
- The main content of the peer-reviewed scientific journal “Vestnik Voennongo Prava” (The Journal of Military Law) (hereinafter – “the Journal”) is the scientific articles, scientific surveys, scientific reviews, testimonies that correspond to groups of scientific specialties, according to which the Journal is included in the list of peer-reviewed scientific editions for publishing main scientific results of dissertations for the academic degree of Candidate of Sciences and the academic degree of Doctor of Sciences.
- The scientific articles sent to the Editorial Office for publication should contain the main scientific results obtained independently by the authors in the course of scientific research, have relevance, practical significance, scientific novelty and be of interest to specialists.
- Submission to the Editorial Office of materials previously published, posted on the Internet or sent for publication to other publishing house is not allowed.
- In case of using the results of someone else’s researches or scientific ideas, a reference to the source of the publication and the authors of this information is mandatory. All materials sent to the Editorial Office of the Journal undergo mandatory test for plagiarism in the “Antiplagiat.VUZ” system. The originality of the article should be 60% or more.
- No more than two materials of one author can be published in one issue of the Journal, even if he is a co-author.
- The information about the author (author’s background) is attached to the articles.
- The articles submitted for publication that contain information within the competence of the Military University are subject to compulsory examination in accordance with the requirements of the Instruction on the Procedure for Preparing Materials for Open Publication in the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
- The authors whose articles contain information not falling within the competence of the Military University together with the manuscript should present an expert opinion on the possibility of publishing an article in the open press certified by the signature of the head officer and sealed with the organization seal.
- The manuscripts of adjuncts, post-graduate students, attendees, cadets and students are accepted for consideration only if there is a review of the scientific supervisor or lecturer with a recommendation to publish the article.
- The manuscripts accepted for consideration are necessarily subjected to peer review and in case of a positive result of the review, they are subjected to scientific & literary editing and proofreading.
- The online versions of the full-text typographic issues of the Journal (the full-text versions of the articles) are compulsorily placed in the Internet on the Journal’s website (http://www.vestnik-vp.ru) and in the Russian Science Citation Index (RSCI) on the platform of the Scientific Electronic Library (http://www.elibrary.ru) in the public domain.
- Communication with authors is carried out only by e-mail.
- All materials are published in the Journal free of charge: no fee is charged to the authors, no fee is paid to the authors.
- Reprinting, reproduction and other use of materials published in the Journal are possible only with the approval of the Editorial Office, with obligatory indication of the title, number and year of the Journal issue.
- It is obligatory to refer to the Journal and authors of the publications when quoting.
II.Rights, duties and responsibilities of authors in relation to materials sent for publication
- The authors of the materials included in the Journal retain the copyright for the use of their materials, regardless of the publication as a whole.
- The authors are obliged to comply with all requirements set forth in the Rules for writing, formatting, sending scientific articles to the Editorial Office, the conditions for their review and publication.
- The authors bear personal responsibility for the content of the materials submitted to the Editorial Office, the accuracy of the citation, bibliographic information and for the absence in the materials of data not subject to public publication.
- The authors themselves are liable to third parties for the misuse of the results of intellectual activity of third parties, as well as on all matters relating to the ownership of rights to such intellectual activity and the materials used in it.
- The authors have the right to refuse publication of the materials submitted to the Editorial Office until the date of signing the corresponding issue of the Journal in print.
III. Rights, duties and responsibilities of the Editorial Office in relation to author’s materials
- During the preparation for publishing, publication and distribution of the author’s materials, the Editorial Office has the right to:
- check the originality of the author’s manuscripts in the “Antiplagiat.VUZ” system (the originality should be 60% or more);
- accept manuscripts for publication, return manuscripts for revision, reject manuscripts based on the opinions of reviewers, assessments of the Editor-in-Chief, his deputy, the Editorial Council and the Editorial Board;
- subject the manuscripts to scientific, literary and proofreading editing without changing the main content of the author’s version of the text;
- if necessary, independently select the illustrations to the author’s materials, impose advertisements to the articles published in the Journal;
- include the information about the authors of the articles contained in the author’s background in the Journal;
- place full-text versions of the articles published in the Journal on the Journal’s website, in various domestic and international bibliographic and abstract databases, other online sources, as well as in periodical and non-periodical printed sources specifying the name of the Journal.
- The Editorial Office is obliged to:
- respect copyrights for the used materials;
- ensure a high informative, scientific and professional level of publications;
- arrange the review of manuscripts.
- The Editorial Office can publish the materials without sharing the authors’ point of view.
- The Editorial Office is not responsible for the timeframe of publication of the published articles in the Russian Science Citation Index database.
IV.Transfer of author’s rights for the use of works
- The right to use the Journal as a whole in accordance with Clause 7 of the Article 1260 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation belongs to the Founder-Publisher of the Journal and is in force permanently on the territory of the Russian Federation and beyond. The scope of the right of the Founder-Publisher to use the Journal as a whole corresponds to the extent of the authors’ exclusive right.
- By presenting the manuscripts to the Editorial Office, the authors pass to the Founder-Publisher of the Journal exclusive proprietary rights to use authors’ materials on a gratuitous basis, including:
- the right to reproduce materials (publication, duplication, replication or other reproduction of materials) without limiting the circulation of copies;
- the right to distribute materials in any way;
- the right to bring materials to the public, including through the Internet;
- the right to publicly demonstrate materials and display them for information, advertising and other purposes;
- the right to translate materials into foreign languages.
At the same time, the authors guarantee that:
- the materials are original, created by the authors in the course of independent creative work;
- the copyright or other rights of third parties were not violated when creating the materials;
- the materials are not subject to pledge, are not transferred to third parties under a contract of alienation of an exclusive right or a licensing agreement for the grant of an exclusive license and are not burdened with the rights and requirements of any third parties.
- The transfer of the above rights by the authors to the Founder-Publisher of the Journal is deemed to be sending the articles to the Editorial Office, which is qualified as an implicative action expressing the authors’ consent to the publication of the submitted works in the Journal and their further use by the Editorial Office under the conditions established by these Rules, as well as implying the authors to give the above guarantees. The information about the author (author’s background) attached to the articles is also considered as an expression of such consent and providing such guarantees by the authors.
- When sending the materials, the authors have the right to preliminarily stipulate exclusive (special) conditions for the use by the Editorial Office of the works submitted by them via sending e-mails to the Editorial Office’s e-mail address.
- The Editorial Office has the right to assign the rights received from the authors to third parties and prohibit the use of the materials published in the Journal by third parties. At the same time, the Editorial Office is not liable to third parties for violation of the guarantees by the authors.
V.Formatting the information about the author (author’s background)
- The information about the author (author’s background) should contain (in Russian and English):
- full surname, name and patronymic (if any);
- academic degree, academic title, honorary title, membership in academies, title of laureate (if any);
- military or special rank (if any);
- applicant, adjunct or post-graduate status with indication of the department (if any);
- place of work, service or study (full name of organization with indication of its legal structure and postal address);
- position held, structural subdivision of the organization (department, laboratory, division, directorate, unit, etc.);
- membership in the military-scientific or scientific society (for attendees, cadets, students);
- other information related to scientific activities, significant from the author’s point of view;
- postal address for sending the author’s copy of the Journal (if the postal address of the organization is given, if necessary, the number of the office is indicated);
- citizenship and country of residence (for foreign authors);
- contact phone number for operative communication between the Editorial staff and the author (not for its publishing in the Journal);
- e-mail address for its publishing in the Journal.
- If the article is written in co-authorship, the information about each co-author is submitted separately in one text document.
VI.Sending manuscripts and accompanying documents to the Editorial Office
- The manuscript of the article drawn up in accordance with the established requirements (annex) is certified by the author’s (authors’) signature for authenticating.
- The electronic copy of the manuscript of the article, information about the author (author’s background) and the scan of review of the scientific supervisor or lecturer with the recommendation to publish the article of the attendee, cadet, student are sent by e-mail to the address: email@example.com.
- The text originals of the materials on paper and materials on electronic media (CD, DVD, flash-card) are sent by mail or delivered personally by the author/authorized person of the author to the address: room 801, bld. 5, 3/4 Volochaevskaya Str., Moscow, 111033.
- The review and the expert opinion on the possibility of publishing an article containing information not falling within the competence of the Military University certified by the signature of the head officer and sealed with the organization seal, are sent only on paper.
- The article and each of the accompanying documents to it submitted by e-mail (on electronic media) are placed in separate files.
The following names are assigned to the files:
- file of the article – according to the author’s surname and the abbreviated title of the article;
- file of each of the accompanying documents – according to the author’s surname and title of the document.
VII. Considering and reviewing articles by the Editorial Office
- After receiving a scientific article, the Editor-in-Chief (Deputy Editor-in-Chief) arranges verification of the originality of the manuscript (“Antiplagiat.VUZ”), determines the compliance of its content, scope and formatting with the Rules and appoints the reviewer.
- The Editorial Board of the Journal carries out the review of all materials received by the Editorial Office and corresponding to the subject matter of the publication, with a view to their expert evaluation.
- The following types of work may not be subjected to compulsory review:
- articles of public and military authorities’ heads, if the head is the only author or one of the co-authors;
- articles of full members and corresponding members of the Russian Academy of Sciences and other state academies of sciences, if the academician or corresponding member is the only author or one of the co-authors;
- articles recommended by scientific, scientific and technical, scientist, methodical councils of scientific organizations or higher education institutions;
- interviews, translations, reviews, surveys, other analytical and reference materials;
- texts of speeches at seminars, meetings, “round tables”, materials of collegial and deliberative bodies’ meetings;
- texts of published regulatory acts;
- materials published in the informative sections;
- other materials, the review of which is deemed inexpedient by the Chairman of the Editorial Council, the Chairman of the Editorial Board, the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal.
- Manuscripts prepared and issued in accordance with established requirements are sent to reviewers.
- Reviewing of articles is carried out by the members of the Editorial Board of the Journal. If necessary, leading scientists in the relevant fields of science may be involved in reviewing. All reviewers are qualified specialists in the field of peer-reviewed materials and have publications on the subject of the article under review during the last 3 years.
- Reviewing is confidential and free of charge.
- Based on a comprehensive analysis of the article, the reviewer prepares a written review, which reflects the following provisions:
- correspondence to the theme of the Journal;
- correspondence of the title to the theme and content;
- relevance and scientific novelty;
- practical importance;
- sufficiency of the scope of the manuscript as a whole and its individual elements: abstract, key words, basic text, graphic and illustrative materials (if any), bibliographic references;
- correspondence of the bibliographic list to the Requirements for the preparation of a manuscript for publication in the Journal (annex);
- topic completeness and depth of disclosure;
- correspondence of the findings to the goal and objectives of the study;
- general conclusion:
а) to declare the article suitable for publication;
- b) to recommend the author to resolve complaints or modify (rework) the article with a repeated review;
- c) to reject the article.
Note. The scope of the abovementioned issues is of a general nature. Each specific article requires an individual approach to the selection of criteria for its evaluation.
- The review should contain information about the surname, name, patronymic, academic degree, academic title, work place, e-mail address of the reviewer in Russian and English.
- The review can be carried out in the form of an expert questionnaire approved by the Editorial Board.
- The review must be signed by the reviewer, dated and stamped.
- Timeframe for the review preparation: 7 days.
- The reviewer presents the prepared review to the Editor-in-Chief or Deputy Editor-in-Chief.
- In case the review is positive, the author receives by e-mail a notification of the inclusion of the article in the publication plan and a copy of the review.
- If the article, in the opinion of the reviewer and (or) the Editorial Office, needs to be finalized, the manuscript with appropriate notations and a copy of the review with a proposal to finalize the article in accordance with the specified remarks are sent to the author by e-mail.
The author should make the necessary corrections to the manuscript and send the corrected text to the Editorial Office with an attached report on the work with the review, in which the author reflects how the comments of the reviewer are taken or not taken into account. After the finalization, the article is reviewed again.
The articles sent to the authors for correction must be returned to the Editorial Office no later than 5 days after receipt.
- In case the review is negative, the author receives by e-mail a copy of the review (without information about the reviewer) and a notification of the rejection of the article.
After getting acquainted with the negative review, the author has the right to give a written, grounded reply to the comments and solicit the referral of the article for peer review to another specialist. Another reviewer may be appointed based on the results of the author’s written appeal consideration by the Editorial Board.
In case the second review is negative, the author receives by e-mail a copy of the second review (without information about the reviewer) and a notification of the rejection of the article.
- Simultaneously with the review according to the procedure specified in clauses 40–51 of the Rules, the article sent by the author is posted on the website of the publishing house in the public domain for open review.
- Within 14 days after posting the article on the website of the publishing house, each visitor to the site may send his review of the article to the Editorial Office’s e-mail. The review must comply with the requirements contained in clause 43 of the Rules. The review is sent to the e-mail of the publishing house with a personal signature of the review’s author as a scanned copy in PDF format. After its checking by the Editorial Board for compliance with the requirements imposed on it, a review is published on the website of the publishing house (without information about the reviewer). The review received after the deadline specified in this clause is not considered and is not published on the website of the publishing house.
- Within 7 days after posting the review on the website of the publishing house, the author has the right to reply to the comments contained in the review, or, if he/she considers these comments to be justified, to make corrections to the text of the article.
- After the expiration of the terms specified in clauses 47–50 of the Rules, the Editorial Board examine the results of an open review of the article. In case the author has left unanswered the reviews posted on the website of the publishing house, and if, in the opinion of the Editorial Board, the author has not eliminated the justified complaints contained in the reviews to the article, the Editorial Office reserves the right not to publish the article in the Journal. At the same time, the article, published reviews, replies of the author to the reviews and corrected versions of the author’s articles remain openly available on website of the publishing house for an indefinite period of time at the discretion of the Editorial Office. In case the author has eliminated the justified complaints contained in the review to the article, or if the Editorial Board finds that the comments are unreasonable when there is an author’s reply to such comments on the website of the publishing house, the article is published according to the standard procedure.
- The reviews are stored in the Editorial Office for 5 years.
- The Editorial Office does not enter into a scientific debate with the authors and reviewers on the content of the articles.
- The Editorial Office does not disclose information concerning the manuscript (including information on its receipt, content, review process, critical comments of the reviewers and the final decision), to anyone other than the authors and the reviewers.
- The Editorial Board is obliged to send copies of the reviews to the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation upon receipt of a corresponding request by the Editorial Office.
VIII. Publishing articles
- The decision on the reasonability of publishing after the review is made by the Editor-in-Chief or Deputy Editor-in-Chief, and, if necessary, by the Editorial Board as a whole.
- Articles are published in the next issues of the Journal in the order of their receipt by the Editorial Board, taking into account the results of the review and the timeframe of the author’s revision.
- The decision on the extraordinary publication of articles is made by the Editor-in-Chief or Deputy Editor-in-Chief.
- A free author’s copy of the Journal is given to the authors or sent to the postal addresses indicated by them. The author pays for the postal services.
Editorial Board of the “Vestnik Voennongo Prava” journal
(The Journal of Military Law)